Saturday, March 5, 2011

Birthdays, Wisdom, and My Musings on Life


Today is my birthday!  Hooray for Me!  Today, a few.., several... well OK, many years ago God chose to allow me to begin the journey we call life.  So far, I have to say it has been a Grand experience.  It has not been without it's struggles, heart ache, ups and downs, and disappointments.  As I sit here reflecting on it, I see that all of the good times and bad times have landed me where I am at today and that without the bad as well as the good I might be the person I am today. 

Someone asked me if I felt different.  Different from what?  Yesterday...not so much.  Different from 20 years ago.  Well, my body would say YES, and although some of my world views may have changed on some things and age truly has brought some wisdom, in my mind I am still 20 years young.  I have few regrets, but sometimes I do wish I knew today, half, of what I THOUGHT I knew 20 years ago.

I can remember when I was young that my Grandmother would try to give me some sage advice about various things.  At the time I would listen and then do exactly what I wanted regardless if it was she had told me.  If I had listened better, maybe I wouldn't have had to experience some of the struggles that I encountered but then I wouldn't have learned the lessons for myself.  Recently I found myself giving some of the same advice to my oldest son who is now 20.  He was looking very bored with my musings and finally said "Mom. don't you know, kids all have to learn the hard way."  Out of the mouth of babes...

It is only when we are older that we can appreciate the wisdom of our elders, but we all have to learn the hard way, which is why history is destined to repeat itself over and over.  They say, youth is wasted on the young and with that I think I agree.  Just think what a bunch of old "farts" could do if they still had some giddy up in their gait.  I find myself now pining for my Grandmother's advice, even if I do need to learn the hard way.  She was so right about so many things.

So what age do I think is the best?  It is whatever age you are right now.  Enjoy, it, learn from it, live it.

When God chooses to turn the last page of my book, I want to look back and say, "WOW, thank you Lord, I had the time of my Life!"

Hugs and Blessings,
B

1 comment:

Beverly...Heartland Creations said...

Happy Belated Birthday hope you had a good one. I wish for you a wonderful year of blessings. I'm a Picses to.
Hugs, Bev